Deep Learning (DL) – A very young and limitless field. Its a class of machine learning where theories of the subject aren’t strongly established and views quickly changes almost on daily basis.
“I think people needs to understand that deep learning is making a lot of things, behind the scenes, much-better” – Sir Geoffrey Hinton
What is Deep Learning ?
AILabPage defines Deep learning is “Undeniably a mind-blowing synchronisation technique applied on data with computing power, skills and experience which practically has no limits“.
Deep learning is used with too much of ease to predict the unpredictable. In my opinion “We all are so busy in creating artificial intelligence by using combination of non bio neural networks and natural intelligence rather than exploring what we have in hand.
Deep learning is a technique that approaches the problem by learning the underlying representations. That said, it is my impression that the representation-focused perspective of artificial neural networks is presently very popular.
Hoping that there would be no time when we need to do the reverse i.e. where will use Artificial Intelligence to create Natural Intelligence in future.
Deep Learning (DL) – Importance
Deep Learning is a part of AI emerging technologies bundle and collection of super performing algorithms and multilayer feature extraction techniques. That may be the reason why it’s also called as representation learning.
At the moment DL is a leading technology break through in AI domain.
It may not be completely wrong to say that deep learning is based on artificial neural networks. Current work and examples shown by deep learning is just a sample of what machines can do.
Deep Learning (DL) has revolutionised, image processing & classification and also speech recognition with high accuracy. Business leaders and developers community absolutely need to understand what it is, what it can do and how it works.
Deep Learning Computational Models
The human brain is a deep and complex recurrent neural network. Deep learning allows computational models that are composed of multiple processing layers to learn representations of data with multiple levels of abstraction. In a very simple words, we can define the 2 models as below.
- Feed forward propagation – Type of neural network architecture where the connections are “fed forward” only i.e. input to hidden to output.
- Back propagation train algorithm with 2 steps:
- Feed forward the values
- Calculate the error and propagate it back to the layer before.
- It uses supervised learning algorithm
In short forward-propagation is part of the back propagation algorithm but comes before back-propagating.
Deep Learning Algorithms
DL a technique for implementing advance machine learning. It also known as deep structured learning or hierarchical learning. At the same time deep learning has absolute power to stand its own an independent pillar of AI. In future DL will divorce its self from Machine Learning (in my opinion). DL is a technique to achieve a goal not necessarily come out of same goal.
Deep learning’s main driver are artificial neural networks or neural networks. There are some specialised versions also available for neural networks such as convolution neural networks and recurrent neural networks. These neural networks addresses special problem domains. Two of the best use cases for Deep Learning which are unique as well are image processing and text/speech processing based on methodologies like deep neural nets.
In practice deep learning methods, specifically Recurrent Neural Networks (RNN) models are used for complex predictive analytics. Like share price forecasting which consist of several stages. DL also includes decision tree learning, inductive logic programming, clustering, reinforcement learning, and Bayesian networks, among others.
Deep learning is the first class of algorithms that is highly scalable. Performance just keeps getting better as we feed the algorithms more data. Speech/Text and image processing can make perfect robot to start with and actions based on triggers. In order to declare it as perfect or best it has to pass basic 4 tests. Turning test i.e needs to acquire college degree, needs to work as an employee for at least 20 years and do well to get promotions and meet ASI status.
How Deep Learning Learns
The computational models of brain information processing in vision and beyond, have largely shallow architectures performing simple computations. Human brain till date have dominated computational neuroscience and will keep doing so for next couple of decades.
Deep learning is based on multiple levels of features or representation in each layer with the layers forming a hierarchy of low-level to high-level features. Traditional machine learning focuses on feature engineering but deep learning focuses on end-to-end learning based on raw features.
Deep Learning is a superlative machine learning method as it allows predictive analytics outputs form given a set of inputs with almost zero defect. DL can use supervised and unsupervised learning to train the model. The term “deep” usually refers to the number of hidden layers in the neural network. Traditional neural networks only contain 2-3 hidden layers, while deep networks can have 100 or even more.
Deep learning create / train test splits of the data where ever possible via cross-validation. It load training data into main memory and compute a model from the training data. Unlike in deep dream which can generate new images, or transform existing images and give them a dreamlike flavour, especially when applied recursively.
Deep Learning vs Machine Learning
Though machine learning has laid down the foundation for deep learning to grow and evolve. At the same time Deep learning has taken key features from the machine learning model. Interesting fact & truth here is it takes it step further by constantly teaching itself new abilities and adjusting existing ones.
- Deep learning is cultured technology with highest degree of accuracy for self-learning capabilities. This makes the results from this often in near accurate results and faster processing.
- It learns high-level, non-linear features necessary for accurate classification.
- Deep Neural Networks are the first family of algorithms within machine learning that do not need manual feature engineering, rather, they learn on their own by processing and learning the high-level features from raw data.
- Deep neural networks are fed through raw data; which learns to find the object on which it is trained or “being trained”.
This unique type of algorithm (deep learning) has far surpassed any earlier benchmarks for classification of images, text, and voice.
Frequently used jargons in deep learning
- Perceptrons – A single layer neural network. Perceptron is a linear classifier. It is used in supervised learning. In this computing structures are based on the design of the human brain and algorithms takes a set of inputs and returns a set of outputs.
- Multilayer Perceptron (MLP)- A Multilayer Perceptron is a Feedforward Neural Network with multiple fully-connected layers that use nonlinear activation functions to deal with data which is not linearly separable.
- Deep Belief Network (DBN) – DBNs are a type of probabilistic graphical model that learn a hierarchical representation of the data in an unsupervised way.
- Deep Dream – A technique invented by Google that tries to distill the knowledge captured by a deep Convolutional Neural Network.
- Deep Reinforcement Learning (DRN) – This is a powerful and exciting area of AI research, with potential applicability to a variety of problem areas. Other common terms under this area are DQN, Deep Deterministic Policy Gradients (DDPG) etc.
- Deep Neural Network (DNN) - A neural network with many hidden layers. There is no hard coded definition on how many layers least a deep neural network has to have. Usually least 3 or more.
- Recurrent Neural Networks (RNN) – A neural network to understand the context in speech, text or music. The RNN allows information to loop through the network,
- Convolutional Neural Network (CNN) – A neural networks, to do images recognition, processing and classifications. Objects detection, face recognition etc. are some CNNs ability where it is widely used.
- Recursive Neural Networks – A hierarchical kind of network where with no time aspect to the input sequence but the input has to be processed hierarchically in a tree fashion.
Why Deep Learning
If supremacy is the basis for popularity then surely Deep Learning is almost there (At least for supervised learning tasks). Deep learning attains the highest rank in terms of accuracy when trained with huge amount of data. Deep learning algorithms takes highly unorganised, messy and unlabelled data — such as video, images, audio recordings, and text.
The analogy to deep learning is that the rocket engine is the deep learning models and the fuel is the huge amounts of data we can feed to these algorithms. – Sir Andrew Ng.
One of the biggest issue / limitation of Deep Learning is it requires high-end machines as oppose to traditional Machine Learning algorithms. GPU’s has become a basic or for granted need to do any Deep Learning related algorithm.
There are several advantage of using deep learning over traditional Machine Learning algorithms. Deep learning out do if the data size is large. But with small data size, traditional Machine Learning algorithms are preferable.
- Knowing the unknown – DL techniques outshines others and avoid worries of lack of domain understanding for feature introspection or where there is a less understanding about feature engineering.
- Nothing is complex – For complex problems such as image, video, voice recognition or natural language processing, DL works like a charm.
On the other hand when it comes to unsupervised learning, research using deep learning yet to see similar behaviour like supervised learning tasks. Responses to valid argument on (if any) “if not deep learning” then why not Hierarchical Temporal Memory (HTM) will cover in upcoming posts.
Books + Other readings Referred
- Research through Open Internet – NewsPortals, Economic development report papers and conferences.
- Internet-based survey results from 30 AI experts
- Open Internet & AILabPage (group of self-taught engineers) members hands-on lab work.
Feedback & Further Question
Do you have any questions about Deep Learning or Machine Learning? Leave a comment or ask your question via email . Will try my best to answer it.
Points to Note:
All credits if any remains on the original contributor only. We have now elaborated our earlier posts on “AI, ML and DL – Demystified” for understanding Deep Learning only. You can find earlier posts on Machine Learning – The Helicopter view, Supervised Machine Learning, Unsupervised Machine Learning and Reinforcement Learning links.
Conclusion – Deep Learning in short is going much beyond machine learning and its algorithms that are either supervised or unsupervised. In DL it uses many layers of nonlinear processing units for feature extraction and transformation. Learning is based on multiple levels of features or representation in each layer with the layers forming a hierarchy of low-level to high-level features Where traditional machine learning focuses on feature engineering, deep learning focuses on end-to-end learning based on raw features. Traditional deep learning create / train test splits of the data where ever possible via cross-validation. Load all the training data into main memory and compute a model from the training data.
============================ About the Author =======================
Read about Author at : About Me
Thank you all, for spending your time reading this post. Please share your opinion / comments / critics / agreements or disagreement. Remark for more details about posts, subjects and relevance please read the disclaimer.
Categories: Deep Learning